ResNet: Changing your computer name
This document explains how to change a computer name. Renaming a computer requires a reboot.
NOTE: Truman faculty/staff members should not attempt to rename their Truman owned computers. These systems are part of Truman's Active Directory and renaming them could result in loss of service.
Changing a Windows computer name on a personally owned system:
- Right click on the My Computer icon on the Desktop or in the Start Menu.
- Select Properties.
Select the Computer Name tab of the System Properties window.
- If you are using a Windows 7 machine click the Change Settings link about middway down the page.
- Click the Change button.
- Enter the new hostname in the Computer name field. (Computer names should be in compliance with the ITS Computer Naming Standard.)
- Click the OK button to continue. The computer must be restarted for the name change to take effect.
Changing a Mac computer name on a personally owned system:
- Click the Apple menu
- Select System Preferences
- Click the Sharing preference pane.
- Click unlock in the bottom left if needed to make changes.
- Enter the new host name in the Computer Name field. (Computer names should be in compliance with the ITS Computer Naming Standard.)
- Close the preference pane and restart the system to take effect.