Network TCP/IP Ports
The following rules apply to TCP/IP ports used on the Truman network.
- All high ports ( > 1023) to the Internet are open. However, high port traffic must be initiated by the Truman computer. Unrequested high port traffice from the Internet to Truman computers is prohibited.
- All low ports ( < 1024) to the Internet are restricted. In general all low TCP/IP ports are closed and are only available for use by servers.
- All ports are open intra-campus (from one building to another).
- Ports to the campus data center are subject to security restrictions.
- Ports on individual servers vary depending on the local security policy.
- Any TCP/IP port can be temporarily closed when necessary. This can happen when there’s a security concern or to limit disruptive IT activities.