Network Printer Connection: Windows Vista and Windows 7
Connect to Network Printers Using Windows Vista & Windows 7
You can connect to Truman network printers from a non-Truman owned computer system located on-campus, like a student personal computer system in a residence hall, or you can also connect from an off-campus computer system.
Note: In order to connect from off-campus you must first connect with the Truman VPN service.
- Select the Start menu.
- In the search bar at the bottom of the Start menu enter \\tp1.
- Next, a credentials screen will popup. In the username field, enter TRUMAN\username, (usename ex: abc1234) and use your Truview password.
- As long as you are connected to Truman’s network this will open a window with all the available printers.
- Select the printer you would like to connect to. For a listing of available printers click here.
- Depending on the specific brand and version of your computer the printer may attempt to install the necessary drivers it needs to run on your computer. Allow it to download these drivers as they are vital to connecting to the printer.
- If all goes well, another window should appear which is the print queue for the selected computer. You should now be connected to the printer and be able to print to it from your applications.
If you are connecting from an on-campus, non-Truman owned computer system start at step # 1. If you are connecting from an off-campus computer system first make a Truman VPN connection then start at step # 4.
- Right click on this link and choose Save Target As… Download the map_printer.bat file to your downloads folder.
- Edit the map_printer.bat file with Windows Notepad.
- Replace ‘password’ with your TRUMAN network password.
- Also replace ‘username’ with your TRUMAN network username like ‘aaa123’.
- Save and exit the file.
- Copy the map_printer.bat file to your Windows Startup folder. Now your computer is setup to connect to the Truman print server each time you start your computer. Double click on map_printer.bat to connect now.
- Click Start, Control Panel, Printers.
- Click on the blue menu bar click “Add Printer”. A new window should appear, click the “Add a Network, Wireless or Bluetooth Printer” and “Next”.
- Click on “The printer that I want isn’t listed”, “Select shared printer by name” and “Next”.
- In the Printer box at the middle of the screen enter the server and printer name you want to use from the student printers table or the faculty/staff printers table. Please enter the information like the examples below.
Note: The two backslashes, tp1 and the single backslash are always entered. Also, you may not have to enter the entire printer name, as a drop-down list will appear as you type that you can select from.
To print to the Campbell Apartments printer: \\tp1\calab
To print to the Missouri Hall printer: \\tp1\mhlab
To print to the Violette Hall 2000 printer: \\tp1\vh2000p2
- Click on Next and then enter in the user and password fields enter: Username:Trumanusername <= “username” needs to be replaced with Truman username Password: Truman Username Password
- If a print driver is needed on your system it may prompt you to install one.
- Choose whether you want the printer to be your default printer, then click on Next, and Finish.For on-campus, non-Truman owned computers running the bat file, disregard any connection failure notices you may get. This error may occur because Windows is trying to reconnect to the network drive before the map_printers.bat file finishes running. Once the .bat file gets the chance to complete, the error will go away.
Note: Printing to the student printers is restricted to students. Students who print to the student printers will be charged for printing. You can add more money to your PAS account at the cashiers’ window in McClain Hall or online.