Installing M365 (formerly known as MS Office) – the Desktop Version
While you can certainly use the web-based of version to access M365 products indefinitely, some users may prefer a desktop experience. Features such as mail merge in Outlook, the use of the Access database application, and more are only possible when one installs M365 on the desktop.
For most university-owned and managed, Windows-based computers, you can install the M365 suite (which includes the email client Outlook) yourself by using the Ivanti Computer Management tool even if you don’t have “administrative access” to your computer.
*Please Note* THIS PROCESS WILL UNINSTALL ALL EARLIER VERSIONS OF MS OFFICE FROM YOUR COMPUTER!
This process will NOT remove .PST or Archive folders if you have those (These are Outlook email special folders that some people use to manage large in-boxes)
- On your Windows computer, click the “Search” button on the lower left of the task bar
- Type “Portal Manager”
- Click to open “Ivanti Portal Manager”
- Scroll down through the listed options to the MS365 package
- Click “Install” to launch the process that will uninstall old Office versions and install the M365 Suite (including Outlook).
- This process may take several minutes (up to 45!). Ivanti will display a progress bar while the process is working.
- When the progress bar disappears, the process is complete!
Click on your Windows Start icon and you should see new programs from the M365 suite at the top of the list of applications – in the “Recently Added” section (They will also be listed alphabetically in the full list)!
You may wish to right-click and pin your favorite applications, such as Outlook, to the Start menu. You can also click and drag your favorite applications to the task bar to pin them there.
Setting Up Outlook
To complete the Outlook set-up, click for additional steps.
- You don’t have Ivanti Portal Manager
- MS365 is not listed in the Portal Manager
- The installation fails
- You want to discuss options, concerns, or get assistance with the process
Contact the IT Service Center/Help Desk (PML203 / 660-785-4544 / Web Portal)