Connecting to the Secure Wireless Network in Mac OS X 10.3 or 10.4
This document will guide you through the process of connecting to the secure wireless network in Mac OS X. (How do I connect from another operating system?) This process should take 5 to 10 minutes.
You will need to be using Mac OS 10.3 or 10.4. Versions of Mac OS before 10.3 (Panther) do not included the software required to connect to a secure wireless network. If you are running a later version of Mac OS such as 10.5 please see the Connecting to the Secure Wireless with Mac OS X 10.5 directions.
For more information about the wireless network, including coverage areas and general information see the Wireless Network Overview.
If you need help setting up your wireless connection you may contact the ITS Helpdesk.
Images marked in red indicate where you should click to complete that particular step.
- Click on the Airport Status menu on the menu bar and then select Open Internet Connect
- Click the File menu and select New 802.1X Connection
- Click the 802.1X icon in the Internet Connect window if it is not already selected.
- Click the arrows next to Configuration and select Edit Configurations
- Fill in the configuration as shown. For Description enter TrumanSecureWireless, enter your username and password and for Wireless Network select TrumanSecureWireless. Under Authentication uncheck all protocols other then PEAP. Then click OK.
- Click Connect in the Internet Connect window.
- A certificate window will appear. In Mac OS 10.4 click Show Certificate then check the Always trust these certificates box and click Continue. In Mac OS 10.3 click Accept All.
- You may see a message asking you to save your password into your keychain. If so, click Yes.
- You should now be connected to the TrumanSecureWireless networkIf your connection fails after verifying the certificate, click Connect again from the Internet Connect application.
You will not be prompted to confirm the certificate each time you connect, and after the wireless network is configured you will not need to open Internet Connect to connect.